GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc. (GZA) is seeking an Entry-Level Civil/Water Resources Engineer in our Springfield, Massachusetts office to support our Civil Engineering and Water Resources Team. We are actively interviewing candidates now with an anticipated start date in September 2020. A strong academic record, civil engineering skills, hydrology and hydraulics analytical skills, and a willingness to travel locally and regionally are essential for this position. The ideal candidate will grow and invest their professional career in the Connecticut River Valley.
As an Entry-Level Civil/Water Resources Engineer, you will manage and work on a wide variety of exciting projects including, but not limited to: land and water resources development design; lake and pond restoration (dredging) design; flood control / dam inspections and design; flood studies and riverine modeling; and stormwater management studies/design/permitting. You will also assist with the technical execution of projects amongst a team of dedicated project managers and principals.
• Perform field tasks including land and bathymetric surveys, site reconnaissance and explorations, sampling, inspections, and construction observation.
• Conduct hydrologic and hydraulic analyses, prepare site grading and utility designs, prepare feasibility studies, and develop recommendations.
• Prepare engineering inspection, feasibility, and design reports.
• Prepare construction and bid documents including drawings, specifications, and construction cost estimates.
• Conduct construction contractor observation and work with contractors to interpret construction documents.
• Conduct field and office QA/QC responsibilities.
• Bachelor’s of Science degree required; Master’s of Science degree is considered advantageous, in Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, or Environmental Engineering with a background or strong academic training in civil engineering, surface water hydrology, open channel hydraulics, watershed management, and associated physical/earth sciences related to civil engineering
• EIT certification preferred, with desire to progress to P.E. within reasonable timeframe
• 0 - 2 years’ relevant experience
• Highly motivated self-starter with a professional attitude
• Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to prepare clear and concise letters, memoranda, technical reports, proposals, and figures
• Strong computer skills including a solid foundation in MS Office applications
• Academic training, previous work experience, or the ability to learn various hydrologic and hydraulic modeling software (e.g., HECHMS, HECRAS, FLO2D, HydroCAD, StormCAD, CulvertMaster, etc.). AutoCAD/Civil 3D and ArcView are considered essential for this engineering position
• Ability to travel at local and regional levels
• Competency in one or more technical or professional disciplines
• Some level of construction experience is preferred; OSHA 10-hour Construction training is a plus
• 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER training is a plus (but not required)
• Professional development and enrichment, including technical training
• Exciting and friendly work environment
• Generous, company-subsidized benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, tuition reimbursement, and 401K retirement plan
GZA is an employee-owned multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm with a history of more than 50 years of providing innovative engineering solutions to improve the natural and built environment. We are an ENR Top 500 Design firm focused on geotechnical, environmental, water, ecological, and construction management services. With a staff of interrelated professionals dedicated to providing high-level expertise on complex projects above, below, and at ground-level, GZA’s experts provide seamless integration across practice areas, client type, and location.